Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Til Tuesday

So, I did nothing today at work except put my new War on Christmas card up. I'm so proud of it. I'm thinking I want to tell my family about my blog so they can go online and see the card, but I'm a little worried they'll read some of my other posts and freak out. I know they won't be too cool with the language I use but then again, this is the most honest writing I've ever done, so take the good with the bad, right? Anyway, I don't know how motivated I'll be to actually go out and get cards made and send them off, but you never know. MG might do it for us and that would rock. In the meantime, I've got the high-quality, photoshopped card ready for downloading right here.

I've been reading My War by Colby Buzzell and it's great. He's really been an inspiration to me as far as the writing goes. It's taken me a long time to be able to sit down in front of a blank screen and now all I want to do is write. I still don't know what I want this to be but it's starting to shape up a little. Learning how to post pictures and links and try to customize it a little has been great. It gives me something to do. I still can't figure out most of the technical stuff but the more I fuck around with it, the better I get at it. Truth is, the only ones reading it are me and MG so WTF, right?

I've always wanted to scrapbook, you know? An old girlfriend of mine bought the Journals of Dan Eldon a long time ago, and I remember looking at it and thinking to myself, "Wow. This guy was a genius." Of course, I knew his whole story and how he died and he's always been a huge inspiration to me. But, then again, sitting on my ass on some dirty couch in Austin, inspiration did not necessarily translate into action. Mostly, it was just fuel for the self-destructive fire. But, now, I have this blog and it's like I can do whatever I want and say whatever I want. It's overwhelming. I draw a blank sometimes thinking about what I want to say or what picture I want to put up or what book I can quote. I know the more I do it, the easier it will get. I was tempted to not post anything and wait for the right lightning to strike but that sounded like what I've been doing for the last 10 years. I know the only way I'll ever get better at this and anything else is to do it. It's on-the-job training in a way.

My friends and especially MG have always told me I needed to find an outlet for my opinions. I'm always going off (get a couple of drinks in me and watch out) about the war in Iraq and the Bush administration and the state of the world in general. I tend to get a little excited and intimidate people because I don't shut up. Since, I've started doing this, I haven't really gone off about anything because I've been too busy being a nerd and trying to "work some stuff out." That phase is rapidly passing. I know my style will change, too, as soon as I finish My War. I tend to sound like whoever I'm reading at the moment and I know I've been aping Buzzell. My apologies, CB. Soon, I'll have done this enough and I won't be scared anymore and I'll start sounding more like myself. Like I said, OTJ training.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home